Working Groups and Surveys
To the time of ECMM institution it was recognised that “…a map of the frequency and distribution of fungal infections in Europe is still lacking, and it is necessary to clarify their aetiology, pathogenesis, clinical aspects, diagnosis and therapeutic approach. The construction of such a map is one of the major aims of our Confederation.” (From Mycology Newsletter, 1997 P. 5)
The ECMM Executive Committee and the Council have approved the proposals for the constitution of the first six Working Groups in 1997. A convenor was appointed for each study and the regulations, which establish the organizational structure of the epidemiological working groups were approved to ensure that collaborators will be able to work in harmony while at the same time each one’s rights are respected.
In each Working Group the Convenor collaborates with a National Coordinator in each country. The latter are responsible for stimulating the participation of various researchers in that country in order to collect a sufficient number of cases and collate, check and transmit the data to the Convenor.
- FungiScope Coordinator Oliver Cornely (Germany)
- Trichosporon infections (Tri-Reg) Coordinator Oliver Cornely (Germany)
- Epidemiological survey on Zygomycosis in Europe Coordinator Gеorge Petrikkos (Greece)
- Joint working group on Pseudallescheria/Scedosporium infections Coordinators Michaela Lackner (Austria) and Sharon Chen (Australia)
- Joint working group on Fungal respiratory infections in Cystic Fibrosis Coordinator Jean-Philippe Bouchara (France)
- Working group on Chronic Disseminated Candidiasis in Hematological Malignancies Coordinator Livio Pagano (Italy)
- Study Group Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) for mycobiota analysis Coordinators Laurence Delhaes (France) - Jean-Pierre Gangneux (France)
- Attributable mortality and Costs of Invasive Candida Infections in European hospitals Coordinators Martin Hoenigl (Austria) and Oliver Cornely (Germany)
- Exploring fungal contamination in the sand and water around the Mediterranean Sea and other water bodies of Europe – relevance to human health and wellbeing Coordinators Esther Segal (Israel), João Brandão (Portugal)
- Working Group on Immunologic Markers for Diagnosis and Treatment Monitoring in Invasive Mold Infection Coordinator Martin Hoenigl (Austria)
- CLARITY (Clinical Implications of Azole Resistant Aspergillosis in Hematological Diseases A Multi National Study) Coordinator Oliver Cornely (Germany)
- Aspergillus Resistance Surveillance Working Group Coordinator Paul Verweij (the Netherlands)